Thursday 5 May 2011

Change Inertia

Delta Management Team - Shinoj

It was those days when I was working as a technical marketing engineer. I used to go around major EPCs and introduce Intergraphs products like PDS, INTools, SmartPlant etc. I still remember when I made a presentation in one of the leading EPCs. The product was INTools and SPPID these are database softwares which would make engineering design easy and can be real time shared on citrix. First question I get after presentation is 'why this software? currently we manage it by spreadsheet and autocad.' These were engineers who were used to excel sheets , autocad etc. and couldn't see the bigger picture. May be my inexperience or bad luck I was unable to convince them of advantages.

A year passed and I received a call from my boss to go again to the same EPCs and introduce the same softwares to a group of engineers. The EPC design team didn't realise the world around them was fast changing; they were looking to buy these softwares because their clients insisted on modern day tools and databases which could be shared real-time. This particular incident proves the changes that a company has to make due to external developments or competition.

In brief, an organization needs to be responsive to advances in the technological environment; its employees' work skills must evolve as technology evolves. Organizations that refuse to adapt eventually lose out and will be left behind. If an organization wants to survive and prosper, its managers must continually innovate and adapt to new technology.

1 comment:

  1. 'When the rate of change inside the company is exceeded by the rate of change outside, the end is near.' - Jack Welch, GE Chairman....

    ReplyDelete